Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Death Star, Star Projector

Here's a couple pictures of the star projector I made that looks like a death star.

The Story: Sometime in December, we were snowed in, Gina and the new baby were taking a nap, Isaac and I were bored, so I decided to set up our tent in our living room. That was a ridiculous amount of fun all by itself, but when I was done I started thinking of ways to make indoor camping more fun . . . fire? Maybe not. Stars . . . doable. That night I poked some holes through a sheet of black construction paper and that was good enough, but I couldn't quit there, so I build the awesome star projector. It took me two months (because I have a family and a full-time job) but it works great so it was totally worth it. Now I can find 5 constellations, and I know why Sirius Black (from Harry Potter) turned into a big dog.





Check out this fun freeware: www.stellarium.org/

It will show you an image of the sky (day or night) where you are at. You can turn on or off lines and pictures that help you find the constellations, and you can zoom in on anything, such as the surface Pluto's moon.

No comments: